Thursday, May 5, 2011

Building a Wort Chiller... via Home Depot/Lowes

So I decided to attempt to move away from the ice bath method of chilling the freshly boiled beer to using a wort chiller.  Problem was, I didn't want to drop $60 bucks on something that looked like it could be fairly easy to build and definitely not cost $60.  So I did some research, read some other blogs, and figured out the parts that I would need.  I headed to Lowes and picked up all of the components for just around $30.

Parts needed:
20 ft 1/4" od copper tubing
10 ft 1/4" id vinyl tubing
Hose adapter fitting
3 #4 clamps


I used one of my Cornelius Kegs as a mold to wrap the copper tubing around, because its much thinner than my brew kettle and primary fermenter, using the Cornelius Keg makes it fit nicely.



After molding the tubing, I attached the vinyl tubing and attached the clamps, after that I used a couple of zip-ties to connect the incoming and outgoing openings.


After attaching everything, I had a quick trial run in the utility sink, didn't find any leaks, and we have a finished product.  All for around $30 in materials and 15 minutes of work.  Not too shabby.

No comments:

Post a Comment